PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR class one medical EEG
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2003, 06:50
gareth08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry JAR class one medical EEG

I went over to Gatwick for a class one initial medical. Passed everything great apart from what i have been told was - and i quote 'an apparent minor abnormality in the electrical activity in my brain'. After going back for a sleep deprived EEG, the abnormality was still present and class one certification was denied!! I have never has any form of seizure, there is no family history and i have never had any head injury or been unconcious.

After having received a letter from Gatwick telling me that the EEG is 'unfortunately an unreliable test' i started to look into the whole EEG thing a bit more. The JAR has been debating over the last couple of years whether or not to keep the EEG on as a test due to it's innacuracy and debate amongst leading neurologists as to whether it is a reliable test to determine whether someone will have a seizure or not.

I am currently appealing the decision and attended a consultation with a private nerologist who looked at the trace they did at Gatwick. He said that i was not in any way photo sensitive - (i.e. the flashing lights weren't going to cause a seizure) and that there was only one spike during the hyperventiliation. He said that about 1 in 100 people show the signs of abnormality that will never have a seizure and has agreed to repeat an EEG with me privately. He said i have no risk to my health and if i was a patient of his under normal circumstances he would not need to give me any treatment or label me at risk of having a seizure. However the JAR only see black or white as the regulations stipulate - abnormality of any king = fail.

Another MASSIVE LOOPHOLE in the JAR regulations is that if you already hold an FAA, a canadian, australian, new zeland, or south african medical none of which require an EEG, they will convert it without giving you an EEG. So basically they are saying we dont care if you have an abnormailty so go right ahead and fly since you already have a nice big medical that cost about 4 times less than ours.

However i was told by the doctor that i cannot go that route because they will have the abnormality on record at Gatwick. So right now my only option is to get an FAA medical train in america or one of the MANY other countries that doesn't require an EEG and then find work in one of those countries and then come back and hope to God they will give me a break. UNLESS OF COURSE I RUN AROUND HYPERVENTILATING FOR THE REST OF MY WORKING LIFE!!

Anyone have any ideas if this all sounds plausable?