PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2003, 06:10
cjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whew!... what a thread!
I am not in Aus at the moment and have missed all the media about this. From what I have read here, ( and correct me if I'm wrong) , under the new scheme the situation could exist where a PJE aircraft climbs to FL130 in E without making a radio call except for on the local aerodrome frequency, a heavy enters E on descent through that level without traffic info about the PJE aircraft , the PJE is in a climb concentrating on intercepting the run in on the gps and looking out not quite as much as he/she could, the heavy's F/O is reading a plate while the captain turns around to remind a hostee he'll be in her room at 9pm sharp, meanwhile the 260hr PJE pilot realises that they didn't turn their transponder to alt as they lined up for flight number 27 of the day....oops too late.

Is that scenario possible? I have quickly read the posts and missed anything that showed otherwise, it must be there though because surley nobody would be silly enough to rely on an overloaded underpaid new cpl to turn the tx to alt in order to avert disaster....
I look forward to someone pointing out what I have missed.
cheers, cjam