PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One more lawsuit
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2018, 19:11
tekling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STW,

I don't want to labour a point so this is my last example, but only helps to reinforce my poor opinion of Mx, Despatch, Ops, and Management:

Passengers all loaded (on a 777 ER) 20 min to push back, so we start the APU. after 30sec, the fire bells sound and we get the red EICAS warning FIRE APU. Meanwhile 2 engineers on the jump seats have their heads in the MAT. I turn to them and ask if they're doing fire tests or some such thing. Guess what, they just sat there like stunned mullets, and offered no response at at all!!
So FO and I carried out the drills, and fired the extinguisher. Couldn't get any response for anyone on the ground, so despatched the FO outside, and spoke to the cabin crew by doors 5. FIRE APU still on the upper EICAS.
Cut another long story short, established there was no fire, so false warning. Then the Engineer tried to despatch us with a red FIRE APU on the upper EICAS!! Quite unbelievable.

Had a long chat with IOC who just wanted to swap the APU fire card for an identical one from one of the engines - quite extraordinary. So FIRE ENG L/R was going to be my next fun exercise! I eventually demanded one of the senior engineers from IOC come down to the aircraft.
He did, but this guy 'grumped' into the cockpit, and the first thing he did was demand to know why we had fired the APU fire extinguisher. Then a big row ensued, and I kicked this guy out of the cockpit, and said don't come back until he knocked on the door, said good morning and apologised. He eventually did this, but having had enough, I offloaded the pax, and left the aircraft, and told him not to bother me until he found another aircraft.
This they eventually did, and we despatched.
The wash up was that I was summoned to the 3rd floor and had a huge row with MH. Eventually got a very begrudging apology from him, but how unprofessional of him, and indeed all the engineers involved....... And you say you've never experienced anything bad from them! I'm speechless!!!
Enough said I think?