PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone AX3 evaluation by RAF
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2018, 15:09
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
@patowalker: totally correct*, only allow me to elaborate: to add to the confusion, French microlights need to have a radio callsign if so equipped, and these callsigns are remarkably alike to registrations. For example, 08EB has the callsign F-JGHO, while 59CJT has F-JPIB. These callsigns seem to be in the F-Jxyz range - like several European countries, France attaches special meaning to registration subclasses. F-Pabc are experimentals, F-Wdef are temporary regs for test-flying new planes, &c.

Now regarding this Cyclone AX3, must I understand this is a UK-built variant of the famous and much copied Weedhopper design, later grown into the AX2000?

I have always liked the Weedhopper concept, but have also wondered why they are so slow. Given a more powerful engine and a sleeker wing profile, surely it must be possible to get them to cruise speeds of 150 km/h - say 80 knots - or perhaps even faster? Has this ever been done? I have even had visions of two of them coupled, a bit like the F-82 "double Mustang".

*except that it is the department number followed by two or three alpha characters, not numbers. [0-9][0-9][A-Z][A-Z]([A-Z]) might make sense to some in IT but is not really comprehensive.