PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One more lawsuit
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2018, 14:37
tekling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STW,

I'm not with CX anymore, so I very rarely post, but I feel I have to take issue with you on your very one-sided post in reply to V for V. I had a very interesting experience among many, and saw absolutely the worst of maintenance and dispatch.
When I was a TCC with CX operating the -400 in about 2010, I had a potentially very interesting problem on arrival at the aircraft, prior to dispatch on a HKG-PAR flight. Cut a long story short, from the Tech Log, in the previous 6 sectors, twice the autopilot when engaged, had dropped out on approach at 800' ish. However, maintenance had twice cleared the aircraft to subsequently depart, with no fault found (begs the question of why they didn't pull the QAR).
Now it happens that LVP was forecast for PAR, so I had a vested interest in a perfectly working autopilot. I remonstrated at length with both MX and despatch about the wisdom of taking this particular aircraft, but of course they just said there were no ADDs associated with this, so no reason not to go. I eventually had an argument with the DM, and got to the point where he threatened me and asked if I was refusing to take the aircraft. Loads of Europe flights go at that time of night, so I just wanted to swap aircraft.
Question, what would you do?

Moving on, we got to PAR. LVP in force and CAT3B required. ALT was Brusselles, temps
+5/+4. On the approach to PAR passing 800', guess what, autopilot drops out. G/A followed by Diversion to Brusselles. Autopilot could only be engaged in HDG SEL and ALT.
Fortunately had loaded heaps of extra fuel due total mistrust of CX Eng, Dispatch and DM. Arrived in Brussels in effectively a large Cessna, fit only for day VFR.
Manual ILS to land, and all ended fine, but Brussels fogged out about 15 mins after arrival.
On the ground for the next 4+ hours, HKG were trying to despatch me back to PAR. I refused and said I would only despatch in CAVOK conditions. Eventually stood down and arrived at hotel in PAR 25 hours after leaving HKG. Guess who I had a fight with back in HKG but the GMO, MH. Have a guess as to my opinion of him now?

Guess what my priority in my next SIM was? Yes, a manual ILS in CAT3B conditions. Very interesting let me tell you - concentrates the mind!

So in response to your post, you're either not a skipper in CX, have only been in the Company 10 minutes, had a charmed life in all your operations, or are indeed a Management stooge.

I have no axe to grind with CX, as I left on good terms in 2015 after 20+ years there, but on so many counts, the company was broken then, and the likes of GL (sadly) and MH seem to have completely lost the plot. So yes, V for V is very accurate in what he says, and knowing Annabel very well, she is a very calm, confident and capable individual, so will only be taking CX to court for a very good reason. Let it rest there STW, and bear in mind the saying - 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and have all doubt removed'.