PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2018, 04:28
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
From talking to colleagues in Qantas who have served in the RAAF, the supervision and continuous feedback that a new RAAF graduate receives over the first few years of their career would exceed anything a newly minted CPL cadet gets by a very significant margin. It’s such a different regime as to be barely comparable. Everything from the initial selection of the RAAF student through to their eventual upgrade path is very different to that which the average CPL/ cadet goes through. The only similarity is that both involve aeroplanes.

Yep, the old chestnut, which never helps our cause and is more often than not used to assist the race to the bottom. You can put a young adult into the cockpit of a fighter after 200 hours blah-blah. The RAAF has enviable training and supervision and quality applicants. As well as a high wash-out rate.

That said, I have seen a number of ex-mil guys struggle with the ambiguities of civilian command training. It's hard to soar with eagles whilst flying amongst turkeys for some I guess. There can be a high standard required in civilian command training with poor quality training and instructors ( I did a TC course in under a week and it was the worst training I've seen ). I'd imagine this could be a struggle for some guys despite their superb training opportunities in the military.

LCC command training can be at such a bare-bones regulatory standards that the above doesn't apply.

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 30th Jul 2018 at 04:40.