Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2018, 11:38
Plumberdino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B Hangar groundcrew 76 to 80

Originally Posted by smujsmith
Coff,

What a splendid job you have done on the 6 AEF fleet. It was a long time ago that I was trusted to run the flight line over there,mans I think I left before Longer Ron arrived on ULAS (I was actually posted as Groundcrew on OUAS Ron). Likewise with T, although I'm sure that during my time there 6 AEF had only 6 Aircraft on charge, and may account for my not remembering T. We rarely manned the flying programme with more than four aircraft at a time as I recall, this may have been to accommodate servicing etc. I seem to remember that 6 AEF worked from one end of the ULAS headquarters building, but shared the pan with OUAS who had a seperate building at the other end of the pan. One thing I do recall was a cockpit section, used for giving the Air cadet passengers the abandonment briefing prior to their flying, could that have been T ?

Now, back to reading up on the history of 6 AEF, is it age that leads to one following these threads backwards ?

Best

Smudge
Hello Smudge
I was racking my brains to remember you but I think I have got it. You were in charge of Bulldog Bravo my name was on Charlie JT Ashford promoted to Cpl shortly before demob. Part of a fine team of radio or avionics techies as well as petrol pump oil topper uppers g meter resetters tyre pumpers marshallers whatever happened to Geordie Easton ?
Den Fielding was promoted to Engineering Officers
I went to work at Kemble as a Radio Tech servicing Hunters Hawks Canberras Chipmunks etc before serving rest of my working life in Cheltenham.
Steve Ashford