PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone AX3 evaluation by RAF
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2018, 07:48
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
You might ask in the Military forum Danny, think it would be the best place for a response.
No need for that; I was involved; the 'evaluation' as such took place at Halton.
In the early '90s, the use of microlights for flying cadets was 'officially' frowned upon and squadrons were told that 'microlight flying was not an approved Air Cadet activity', however, to HQ Air Cadets, microlights were of the weight shift variety and those in charge were unwilling to accept the rate of development of other designs.
As more 'robust' designs were developed with 'normal' 3 -axis controls, the OC of No 2409 (RAF Halton) Sqdn ATC got the manufacturers of the original Thruster to 'lend' him one with a promise he would make every effort to 'sell' the concept to HQ Air Cadets.
I had a PPL but due to official policy, I kept the operation at arms length rather than leap in and get involved.
Then in May 1991, a letter went out to squadrons in Herts and Bucks Wing ATC inviting any adult staff with PPLs who might be interested to come along to a 'look/see' day at Halton to find out what microlights were about and have a free ride in one.
Not being one to turn down a free flight, although I was a bit dubious about how safe microlights were, I went along on the specified date, 26 May 1991. I arrived to find the Thruster parked outside the microlight operator's caravan, alongside another microlight of an unfamiliar design with a strange registration. This yellow painted aircraft had a nosewheel undercarriage rather than the tailwheel of the Thruster.
Within minutes, I was introduced to Bill Sherlock of Cyclone Airsports, who took me over to this 'other' aircraft which he called the AX3, its 'strange' registration (F59EE) being apparently French Class 'B' markings indicating it was a prototype or experimental aircraft.
We strapped in, Bill pointing out that although lightweight in construction, it was made of triangular tubular sections making it very robust.
Anyway, we started up and Bill taxiied us out to the takeoff point. He did the first takeoff, talking me through it and handed over to me once we were airborne.
I climbed to 1,000ft QFE, quite a good rate of climb, flying a 'normal' circuit pattern left hand on runway 02 ( I was already familiar with Halton having been associated with 613 Glding School for many years including being an Air Cadet Glider pilot cleared for air experience flying) and with the occasional advice from Bill, flew an approach and landed, to which Bill said 'well done, greaser first time'. He then suggested we taxy back and I tried a takeoff which once again was quite straighforward.
We flew another circuit then taxiied back in to allow the next 'volunteer' a go.
I was hooked!
Next instalment shortly; Chillindan, I'll try to reply to your pm with more detail when I can.

Last edited by chevvron; 29th Jul 2018 at 10:02.