PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Being a Professional Pilot in Europe vs. the US
Old 29th Jul 2018, 04:54
zerogravity1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a Professional Pilot in Europe vs. the US

Hi All,

I have been living in California for nearly 10 years as a permanent resident and am currently doing all my flight training here. However, I am a German citizen and all my family is still over there so I'm wondering whether it makes sense to start my new flying career in Europe or if I should stay in the United States. It would be great to be closer to my family again but I have also built a great life in California so from that perspective, either location is a good option. I am aware of the time and money it takes to convert my licenses to EASA and the 14 ATPL exams I would have to take and obviously residency/citizenship requirements are not an issue.

My question is more about the quality of life of an (airline) pilot in the United States vs. Europe. Is there much of a difference, is one place better than another?
How difficult is it to start your career in Europe? From what I read, getting a job at one of the regionals in the US after you get your 1,500 hours is currently relatively easy, but I'm not sure about Europe, so any insight about the chances of getting a job there with 300-500 hours would be greatly appreciated. Does it make sense to convert my licenses because I would potentially get a job in Europe with fewer hours? How about the opportunities for advancement/upgrade times?
I'd really appreciate any information, insights, or opinion you might have for me!