PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2018, 03:55
dabo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
So back then before the interweb and television, did everyone have a HF sitting at home, is that what they are trying to lead us to believe?
Actually- Yes...
Many 1930's radios had shortwave included, usually from 1-3 Mhz up to 20-30 Mhz and often 6Mhz was the bottom of one of the bands as many had several SW bands (to make tuning easier)
(not sure of linking ability here yet, but google "frequency dial of 1930's radio" and click on images, you will see many examples)
Shortwave was indeed the major radio frequencies, as many rural areas still had no local stations and stations like the BBC were often peoples only choice (the BBC began shortwave broadcasts on 9.30am, Saturday 19 December,1932, and included a frequency very close to Amelias frequency, and of course shortwave has (at the appropriate times) ranges in the thousands of Km (which is why broadcasters like BBC world service chose them

(I have personal experience using AM only, during the cycle22, of reaching the USA on only 4w, using a 1ft helical antenna mobile from Australia- it was a very brief contact, but it did happen, and made my day!)

I still find Davids theory the most likely though, to me the holy grail would be the finding of that tag!!!
(or of course the plane itself)