PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MACH or IAS?
Thread: MACH or IAS?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 22:16
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes for sure a tech log write up and it will need to be signed off by an Engineer ( degree of inspection depends on magnitude of over speed) so I take your point about a maintenance base. I guess what I was trying to point out is that it is to be avoided, but don’t be scared of it, keep it in perspective. I find myself flying with more and more people who appear to be scared of a small overspeed and that drives behaviours ( closing thrust levers) that aren’t warranted. The same pilots appear happy to slow down to low Mach numbers at high flight levels. I was trying to encourage the OP to research what the actual consequences are of both scenarios. There is plenty of good info on the net by reputable organisations. There are many examples of slow flight leading to the crew having to descend but not many of incidents caused by small MMO exceedances.
There are lots of different ways of getting down, it probably doesn’t matter which method as long as the speed and ROD flown are sensible, I do however see two reasons not to implement B2N2 ‘s FLC advice.