PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial Salary?
Thread: Initial Salary?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 21:50
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While being able to do the training modular and debt free might be ideal, it would also mean a rather lengthy training time. I would personally prefer a shorter training time and be on the market looking for jobs sooner rather than later.

I think I should've been a bit more specific in what I'm planning to do and what I'm looking for. Firstly, I am planning to do the training via the modular route. I work as a RGN for the NHS and while pay may not be that great, it's better than no job at all so I plan to hold on to this job until a LHS RHS offer comes along. This also means that in a worst-case scenario (fATPL with no offers), I can still repay the debt albeit slowly.

I'm looking for figures for starting pilots (FO or SO) assuming they got the job now (or recently) and what the pay progression would be like in the next 3-5 years. I'm hoping that under this timeframe, I'd have paid back all my loans or be a damn good way into it. I am aware that it's different depending on aircraft or airline or contract, however, concrete examples (Airline XX will pay you £YYYY per month under ZZZ contract) would be much better than no example at all!

Thanks to the guys that have given direct answers, much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Thegreenmachine
The ppjn numbers for ezy uk contract are accurate. You can tap it into an online salary calculator to get your take home, dependant on your circumstances.
Are you referring to the £43K SO salary? Thanks for that info! So two years on that then promotion to FO.

Originally Posted by MaverickPrime
At Ryanair, there is a training contract until completion of Line Training, I think it pays you in the region of £2k/mth. After Line Training, you will be offered a contract that will differ depending on the country you live in; the permanent FO contract is circa £64,000/year gross including the 'bonus' payment if based in the UK from from what I can recall.
Ryanair page is a bit confusing; it states 43.5EUR up to 63.5EUR per block (hour?) but doesn't say how many block hours per month or year of if these hours are guaranteed. Also no info on how/when to upgrade from SO to FO. More info would be great!

Originally Posted by Negan
First couple of years of employment as a co pilot will be a struggle no matter what airline

Pilot training is a huge risk and should not be done unless you have a realistic and solid plan B in case things go belly up
And I assume that being able to keep my current job is a good plan B?

Originally Posted by Chris the Robot
I don't know what nurses make these days, or what overtime opportunities would be available to supplement basic income. Would it be possible for the OP to complete training without any debt so that the take home was a bit less of a worry?
Suffice to say, it's a pittance. I can still do the training debt free but I suspect it'll take me double or triple the amount of time required. I can take annual leave plus unpaid leave or sabbatical for the required training and spend most of the studying time while I am also working and the goal is to keep my job until the point when I am offered a left-hand right-hand seat. As a brand-new entry into commercial flying, I'm sure I'd require some more training (type rating at least!) so an immediate start is probably out of the question.

The take home pay is to help calculate debt repayment; the training path day-to-day would be covered by current employment salary.

Last edited by Nurse2Pilot; 29th Jul 2018 at 12:54. Reason: I meant the OTHER left!!