PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 28th Jul 2018, 21:18
vee1-rotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umop apisdn
Research? Where? How? I don't think I have heard of anyone having their E3 prematurely revoked for applying for the lottery, also haven't heard of anyone being rejected a renewal for applying for the lottery but missing out. I'd love to see your sources.

There are many ways to mess it up after you have been selected, and it has been incredibly stressful at some points. You can't leave the country after you submit an adjustment of status, or you will be considered to have abandoned your application and won't have a visa class to fall back on. If you leave with advanced parole and return, only to have the green card denied, then that is a legit way to prematurely lose your E3.

A mere entry in the green card lottery will not hurt. I know many who have entered, failed, and renewed their E3 with no issues. You can make a more educated decision after you get selected. It is not illegal or dodgy in any way to be on an E3 and get a green card from the lottery. If it was, it would be impossible and there wouldn't have been many Australians before me who have changed over successfully.

Ultimately, a win in the green card lottery is just a ticket to "apply" for the green card itself. In no way is it a done deal that you will receive one. Hence why they always draw more than the allocated allotment of green cards ... because a lot of applications will be rejected.

Anyone can "apply" for the lottery however you still need to meet prerequisites after "winning". From what I've heard/read, a long, drawn out process once you do win, and this was a few years before the Dotard was in charge. Who knows what its like now.

And as you mention, the E3 is not a dual intent visa. Part of the application for the E3 requires you to show ties back to Australia, and evidence you will eventually return there. It's a pretty big risk to expect to transfer across to a green card from an E3, although it can has been done.