PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 20:58
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Airbubba;10208620]

Not so sure that's a good comparison. SFO to SLC is about 600 miles, the distance from Gardner Island to points in the continental U.S. is more like 6000 miles.
GEEZE- I should have found a emoji thatclearly denoted sarcasm - which in line with the rest of my comments I thought was obvious !
Well in the 40's- I had a crystal radio that at night could pick up an AM radio station KSL salt lake from the san franciso area . ... so obviously one could pick up a high freq bounce form 4 times that distance .....

And I'm sure that most will be amazed that two wasp engines can be totally dissolved in sea water with no traee .
How many believe that a aircraft engine -with aluminum, steel, magnesium, and aothere alloyn parts could totally disintegrate in salt water even with alternate exposure to air and salt water and leave NO trace??

In the era of the late 30's- a lot of things ' broadcast " from whatever source were taken as absolute fact

Look up Orsen wells and his famous broadcast or newspapers like W randolph hearst and some infamous stories - and just a relatively unique ( for that era and time ) HF beacon was used in place of a low freq.