PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 28th Jul 2018, 20:33
umop apisdn

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LostWanderer
"Unless a person gets a green card, i CANNOT see any OZ pilot progressing to the U.S majors or low cost airlines, it WON'T happen on an E3."

This is true ... but for the love of god, DO NOT try for the green card lottery while you are in the US on an E3 Visa unless you are very certain what you are doing and possibly have even seen an immigration lawyer. This can (in many cases) be viewed as showing intent to remain in the US and a direct contradiction to the requirements of an E3 visa. Do some research and you will find more than a few cases of people being sent home/denied renewals based on this. Some who have even been successful in the green card lottery have then lost both E3 and GC and were sent home. And yep, I have spoken to an immigration lawyer about this.
Research? Where? How? I don't think I have heard of anyone having their E3 prematurely revoked for applying for the lottery, also haven't heard of anyone being rejected a renewal for applying for the lottery but missing out. I'd love to see your sources.

There are many ways to mess it up after you have been selected, and it has been incredibly stressful at some points. You can't leave the country after you submit an adjustment of status, or you will be considered to have abandoned your application and won't have a visa class to fall back on. If you leave with advanced parole and return, only to have the green card denied, then that is a legit way to prematurely lose your E3.

A mere entry in the green card lottery will not hurt. I know many who have entered, failed, and renewed their E3 with no issues. You can make a more educated decision after you get selected. It is not illegal or dodgy in any way to be on an E3 and get a green card from the lottery. If it was, it would be impossible and there wouldn't have been many Australians before me who have changed over successfully.