PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - There's a Joke in Here Somewhere
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 18:34
ricardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavuman1
Micro$oft has constructed and is operating a submerged server farm under the North Sea. This may be of considerable interest to Ricardian who 1) dwells in the proximal Orkney Islands, and 2) has an excellent sense of humo(u)r. Have at it...
Bill Gates as Captain Nemo
- Ed
I've only just read this thread. According to an article in The Orcadian the server farm takes 250 kW of electrical power.
Orkney produces more than 120 percent of its electrical load and there are plans to generate 1.6 gigawatts more power. A new cable across the Pentland Firth is being planned. There was talk of a tidal power scheme in the Pentland Firth but I've not heard anything more about that for a year or two.
On the plus side I've just changed my ISP from BT to SSE. BT were charging £52 a month for phone & broadband but SSE charge £22 for the same scheme. And because I already use SSE as my electricity supplier that price is frozen for 3 years, I get my router free, and there's no connection charge. The icing on the cake is that SSE's helpdesk is in Portsmouth, Hants!

Last edited by ricardian; 28th Jul 2018 at 18:37. Reason: additional material