PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did Heathrow used to look ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 16:43
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
Chevron
thinking about it a bit I seem to remember there was a more accurate aid than SRA -Precsion something radar?, where the controller gave a running commentary of turn right 3 degrees , just below the glide etc . all very small corrections. (of course I can remember that from 196X but not what i had for breakfast today )

ATC also asked aircraft to report crossing the Thames which I think was at Laleham nr Staines -no outer marker on that runway and also reminded the crew to check wheels down and locked . At some point nearer the runway they just announced cleared to land approach completed and I assume left it to the crew to decide to land or not at decision height
The other thing about 05 R was that the approach passed over a massive fuel farm at about 100-150 ft so any undershot was going to end in a mega catastrophe.
You will be referring to Precision Approach Radar (PAR); which had, in addition to the horizontal radar map & guidance, also a vertical radar showing the descent profile of the a/c - so enabling the controller to give accurate checks to the a/c in range, track & height. As opposed to the Surveillance Radar Approach; which could not give an accurate check as to whether the a/c was on the correct descent profile - only an advisory height based on the distance from touchdown & associated height based on a 3 degree glide path.