PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 09:48
atpcliff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrias
I think I am starting to understand this whole 'pilot shortage' concept. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on Boeing's projections - 790,000 Pilots required over the next 20 years. Is it possible that they might be basing their projection on the individual that has the equivalent qualifications and skills (i.e. Theory and Hours) to fly their aircraft? And Airbus manufactured aircraft as well for that matter (i.e. 1,500 hours, ATPL passes and possibly type rated)?

And their projection does not include the individuals that are have just qualified as 'Pilot' i.e. CPL and 200 odd hours - entry level. Is this a possibility or not?

I only ask because looking at it that way might make sense why there's still are a considerable amount of individuals graduating with a CPL/IR but into a pool of about 100 other individuals (example).

Whereas the individual passing the 1,500 hour mark and passing ATPL exams, 'graduates' into a pool of say 10 (example) and that is where the shortage is.

It just seems as though they are raising the importance of a shortage but rather a shortage of those on type because there doesn't seem to be a shortage of those flying 152s and 172s.

They should actually then caption it as PILOT SHORTAGE FOR MTOW OF X
In the US, there's a shortage of Student Pilots, Private Pilots, Instrument Pilots, Commercial Pilots, Flight Instructors, ATPs, and Military Pilots.
In Canada, it is similar, but not as bad I think.