PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting The Chop
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2018, 06:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
All the Instructors I know, both Military and Civilian including myself never really sweated the guys we chopped, but everyone had a story of the guy they should not have passed.....
whom

In training in the 60s a good number of my nav course were chopped pilots, several didn't make it through nav training. Later, as an instructor 70% of my nav course were chopped pilots. All scraped through the basics but in the end only 10% graduated.

The difficult thing is we would have chopped most of them on day 1. One we would have chopped graduated but never made it to a front line sqn; one we would have passed failed. Using just intuition alone would have saved them a lot of stress. One went Provost and another Engineer. An Army psychologist had observed years before that experienced instructors could assess potential failures early on. My daughter at OASC observed that there was more work rejecting a candidate than in passing them.