PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 23:42
Seagull201

Originally Posted by bafanguy
Seagull201,

You're right about several issues you listed.

The flying can be pretty intense particularly in the NE US in winter. Always cramming 10 lbs in a 5 lb can with winter just amplifying it all. I can't think of a better opportunity to get in trouble than KLGA or KDCA ( and many other airports) in winter. But, it's all good experience and a person should have a minimum of two of those under his belt before acting as PIC.

And, yes, they even send US citizens home if they can't cut the mustard.

I should hope that E3s will be upgraded when their turn comes and they've shown ability. The PIC time will look good on your CV.

As for moving beyond a regional as an E3, who knows what the Perfumed Princes of the Kackistocracy will do with immigration laws. But...as it stands now, a green card is required to make oneself eligible for an LCC or legacy carrier. And the competition for those spots is FIERCE and will continue to be forever. It's possible one could weave the Aussie magic on some of the local talent and marry into a green card. Then he'd be off the the races with a whole other slate of things to be frustrated about. Drop us a line when that happens and we'll provide that list.

To clarify better what i was getting at before.

Some of you guys should be more realistic about your info.

1. There's a website called "airline pilot central" or "airline central'', if a person clicks under the banner of regionals,
a list of the U.S regional airlines will show up, there are a good 20 or so, which operate regional jets.
Out of the 20 or so listed regionals, at the moment, ONLY less than 4, are ACTIVELY E3 visa holders, others don't do it.

(please note: if i write something in capitals, i'm not shouting, just highlighting. Thanks)

2. You guys there should be realistic, there is NO flow path to the U.S MAJORS or L.C.C airlines at the moment, for OZ pilots on E3s.
A person has to be a U.S national, resident or greencard holder.
How someone wants to sought out getting an eventual greencard, is for the individual to workout.

3. A first and second year F/O on any regional jet is on somewhere 37 to 40 dollars an hour, say up to 40K a year.
That's not enough income for a person to rent their own unit, pay utilities/bills, groceries, travel to the airport.
That's why i previously mentioned, a person should bring cash with them, they'll need it.

4. The U.S tax system is very close to the Australian system, there were jobs advertised for multi engine flight instructors in the U.S recently,
pay was 48K, i did the figures on the U.S tax calculators, it worked out to be $750 a week net or $3,000 a month in the pocket.
The unit which was offered for rent was at $1,500, so the other 1,500 or 375 per week would cover living expenses.

The 48K figure was a reasonable income AND you guys there, want to tell me your 40K a year as an F/O, is comfortable?
i'd say you would be pretty stretched on 40K a year.

A Captain on a regional jet there would be on 70 to 75K a year, that's about $1,150 a week net or $4,600 a month in the pocket.
That's a reasonable income to start living comfortably.

5. Any OZ pilot that's at a regional, will more than likely be upgraded to Captain, as their turn comes AND have their E3 continuously renewed,
every 2 years, there will be NO FURTHER progression into the majors or LCC, unless you're a greencard holder.

6. Bafanguy: Thanks for your post, you picked the parts that i was exactly getting at, you got the eyes of an eagle, whilst others are trying to see through it.