PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 22:39
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
...it's not a holiday going there,
it's intense work, flying in a first world aviation environment and airports, day, night, all types of weather.

If a person doesn't make the grade during their training, they will be sent home.

I can see the OZ pilots that are currently there with the regionals, being upgraded to Captain at their particular airline and their E3's extended every 2 years.

Unless a person gets a green card, i CANNOT see any OZ pilot progressing to the U.S majors or low cost airlines, it WON'T happen on an E3.
Seagull201,

You're right about several issues you listed.

The flying can be pretty intense particularly in the NE US in winter. Always cramming 10 lbs in a 5 lb can with winter just amplifying it all. I can't think of a better opportunity to get in trouble than KLGA or KDCA ( and many other airports) in winter. But, it's all good experience and a person should have a minimum of two of those under his belt before acting as PIC.

And, yes, they even send US citizens home if they can't cut the mustard.

I should hope that E3s will be upgraded when their turn comes and they've shown ability. The PIC time will look good on your CV.

As for moving beyond a regional as an E3, who knows what the Perfumed Princes of the Kackistocracy will do with immigration laws. But...as it stands now, a green card is required to make oneself eligible for an LCC or legacy carrier. And the competition for those spots is FIERCE and will continue to be forever. It's possible one could weave the Aussie magic on some of the local talent and marry into a green card. Then he'd be off the the races with a whole other slate of things to be frustrated about. Drop us a line when that happens and we'll provide that list.