PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 17:25
FFMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Yes a hodgepodge and a compromised approach however the site is now so constrained where could you go .
A completely new terminal WOULD be a shed similar to Spekes nothing glamorous but where to put it your answers on post card !
A good question.
I have thought for some time (given that my line of work is major projects) that the most logical way to deal with the T1 and T3 problem is to extend T2 eastwards, more or less in a straight line towards the old Ringway Road towards the end of the T3 50s stands.
Much of what is there now is empty space particularly that area between the T1 MSCP and the Rail Station. The majority of the construction could take place whilst the present T1 is in operation. Once built, both T1 and T3 would be flattened leaving a lot more airside space for building out however many piers are needed for decades to come.
The end result would be a single large linear terminal with linear drop-off / pick-up ramp instead of the spaghetti mess of the current road system twisting round the current terminals. This terminal would also be much closer to the rail station or even integrated with it.. It would make Manchester a more attractive place to transfer too - which it most definitely isn't at the moment.

I've found that over all the years I worked in projects that almost nothing is impossible. This 'can't do' attitude just seems to be the case in Britain particularly outside London. As a nation we are just not very good at this sort of problem fixing, everything is too difficult or too expensive here and it is why I prefer to work on projects in other countries.....but then I have to use MAN to do that .....(!)
Maybe I should give up and take an early retirement