PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting The Chop
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 16:54
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hubstrasse
Throughout flying training I had a few 'chop rides', Then as an examiner - instructor in later life had to end the careers of a few aspiring aircrew. If they asked, over a beer (or two- remember those days) I would explain, additionally to the debrief, that it was preferable to chop now than attend a funeral later. Most understood and agreed their time had come to gracefully select another path.
Yes, your view is fair Hub. However, there is often (always?) a tremendous mix of pressures upon trainee Mil aircrew that effect their performance in training. In a career of mostly Mil aviation, I have seen trainees go from bottom of the pile to the top and be very successful, buffoons promoted to get them out of flying, and also top tyro's go from the top to...dead, killed by their own errors. Certainly, the RAF of the 60's onwards was able to chose it's trainees with the basic abilities and potential. I am sure that many of the high percentage "chopped" in training were just victims of the system. Certainly, many were unlucky to go through during periods of low demand!

OAP