PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting The Chop
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 16:11
DODGYOLDFART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old-Duffer
Perhaps the originator of this Thread meant Radar/Radio Observer who I seem to recall wore a badge with 'RO' on it?

Old Duffer
Hi Old Duffer. What I originally said that a chap on a pilots course got chopped and latter I heard he had emerged as an AEO on Javelins not an RO.

At the time(1957 at Turnhill) there was a complication known as National Service and a common threat held over our heads was, if you got chopped off the course you would still be required to complete two years service. Further more as you were actually only an AC2 General Duties and just an "acting Pilot Officer" you reverted to the rank of AC2 and you could then find yourself washing dishes in the Airman's Mess. I am not aware of this happening to anyone and most that got chopped handed in their kit and were accompanied to the main gate where there F1250 was taken from them and they again became a civilian. I am aware of a few that did stay in and chose a different trade. I have put this paragraph in as I have had a couple of PM's asking for clarification.

Last edited by DODGYOLDFART; 27th Jul 2018 at 16:13. Reason: Finger trouble