PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 15:28
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Regretably I don’t see any easy quick or dirty solutions to T3 other than it needs to come down even before T1 it simply doesn’t function in today environment from a business or security point of view.
I only rarely fly through T3, so don’t quite grasp the antipathy to it - not denying it’s an issue, just curious, comes with the name I guess! From my limited observation it mostly seems to be the constrained ‘hanging around’ area airside before you head towards the gates. Security outbound and Immigration inbound don’t strike me as an issue if (a big if I know) properly manned so all lanes/scanners are in use.

If that that area is indeed the case, then as part of the transformation shuffle I would think that if they could empty T3 for a year then completely gut the place they would have options to shrink the current check in area depth in order to expand airside, and remodel the shopping area. Also, if you look at an aerial view, there seems to be redundant space behind the pier containing the 50s gates towards landslide that could be used to make a much wider pier, possibly giving an alternative location for some shops.