PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 13:34
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr A Tis, re your comments:
"The trouble at T3 (like the others) there is no consistency, will the process take 10 minutes or two hours to get airside? Their own agreed security service level is 15 minutes, which is in their gift to provide if they employed enough staff.
Reports of the free drop off area are that some people are waiting 45 minutes for a free shuttle because the 15 minute service is full. Again within their gift but ignored. At a recent meeting they discussed either upping the service to 10 minutes or providing dedicated terminal buses- but decided the existing plan was enough.
Again at their recent meeting they discussed cleanliness etc- again kicked into long grass.
The User committee asked for more resources rather than continuing to inflate their already record profits"

Do I take it you are either on the User Committee as a passenger representative or have a good contact who is?

As regards security queues at T3, and T1 for that matter, do we know some hard facts such as how many security channels and scanners are there? Is there physical space to accommodate more (if there were staff to do so)? On average, how many security lanes are open and staffed at peak periods in each terminal?

In an earlier post you stated:
" Hence a number of airlines bosses, The CAA & Dept for Transport are monitoring the situation- I can't say more than that here".

Is it just 'monitoring' or are you implying notice has in effect been served on MAN to improve with the threat of action if they don't? From an airline perspective I can appreciate they could halt expansion plans or in theory even pull out altogether however unlikely that may seem for the larger carriers. Apart from fines, I guess the CAA could reduce the current capacity limits at peak times, could they?

I'm just trying to understand what the feeling is inside the industry (as opposed to passengers who can't wait to vent their anger on social media and the M.E.N., although I accept some of those views may be perfectly justified). Bearing in mind, easyjet have announced significant expansion at MAN this winter and next summer and some new long haul routes are starting this winter.

Incidentally, I'm sure the original announcement about drop-off charges at terminals but free shuttle buses available for drop-off at a remote park, mentioned a service every 10 minutes. It was only later not long before the new system started if I'm not mistaken that the frequency was to be every 15 minutes. I think the first I heard it was from the spokeswoman on GMR the day before drop-off fees were activated.

Last edited by MANFOD; 27th Jul 2018 at 13:43. Reason: added text