PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 13:34
Australopithecus

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
I've been following these posts for a while now and i've seen a lot of info on the U.S aviation scene.

Anyone that wants to go to the U.S and fly for a regional airline, should realise before they depart OZ, it's not a holiday going there,

Why should it be? Prospective regional pilots are seeking a job, not a paid vacation.

it's intense work, flying in a first world aviation environment and airports, day, night, all types of weather.

yup, just like aviation elsewhere, except with expert support. And ATC

If a person doesn't make the grade during their training, they will be sent home.

And that’s a problem how, exactly?

I can see the OZ pilots that are currently there with the regionals, being upgraded to Captain at their particular airline and their E3's extended every 2 years.

Unless a person gets a green card, i CANNOT see any OZ pilot progressing to the U.S majors or low cost airlines, it WON'T happen on an E3.

Sorry, bullsh*t. Your crystal ball came from Wallmart, same as mine. The industry has many champions in the halls of government, and no one can say what abenues to citizenship may develop.

The tax system (weekly pay as you go, tax taken out of a
pay) there, is virtually the equivalent to the OZ tax system here.

But at a much lower rate. Who cares about the mechanism?

I can see OZ pilots that worked in U.S regionals, walking into Jetstar and Virgin, without anyone stopping them, no problems.

But why would they? Why would you trade a palpable lifestyle advantage to be in one English speaking country over another?*

*well...sort of English. Y’all.

A REX Captain and Qlink Dash 8 F/O, earns 20% more than a U.S regional jet Captain.
Then again, we don't have EMB175/CRJ900 jets here in OZ or populations of greater than 350 million.

And what is their relative buying power after tax? I’d wager the US regional pilot gets a 30-40% better buying power.

Anyone that wants to go to the U.S and fly should go but a person should bring a lot of cash with them.
sour grapes?