PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAF Dakota crash, Burnet, TX 21-7-18
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 13:17
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ehwatezedoing
[...] The ailerons are none the less very effective tail low on a DC-3 for directional control.
Your downward aileron pretty much act like a spoiler in those conditions and is amazingly good at helping you recover from a swerve going the opposite direction. Timming while doing it is everything.

Interesting. The only point I would offer from my limited experience on the type is that, with the tail still on the ground in a strong crosswind, I would have pre-selected full into-wind aileron anyway. The swing is most likely to be into-wind, and no further deflection would be available. Admittedly, the swing could be in the downwind direction, in which case would you remove the into-wind aileron briefly?

What do you mean by "Timming while doing it is everything."?

A common rookie mistake when starting an uncommanded swerve is trying to correct it like you would do in a car and its steering wheel (don’t laugh, I’ve seen it) That would just exacerbate your controlling issue.

Yes, I've seen that by a rookie on a big jet. Apparently, it had worked in the simulator...