PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 27th Jul 2018, 12:31
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
I've been following these posts for a while now and i've seen a lot of info on the U.S aviation scene.

Anyone that wants to go to the U.S and fly for a regional airline, should realise before they depart OZ, it's not a holiday going there,
it's intense work, flying in a first world aviation environment and airports, day, night, all types of weather.

If a person doesn't make the grade during their training, they will be sent home.

I can see the OZ pilots that are currently there with the regionals, being upgraded to Captain at their particular airline and their E3's extended every 2 years.

Unless a person gets a green card, i CANNOT see any OZ pilot progressing to the U.S majors or low cost airlines, it WON'T happen on an E3.

The tax system (weekly pay as you go, tax taken out of a pay) there, is virtually the equivalent to the OZ tax system here.

I can see OZ pilots that worked in U.S regionals, walking into Jetstar and Virgin, without anyone stopping them, no problems.

A REX Captain and Qlink Dash 8 F/O, earns 20% more than a U.S regional jet Captain.
Then again, we don't have EMB175/CRJ900 jets here in OZ or populations of greater than 350 million.

Anyone that wants to go to the U.S and fly should go but a person should bring a lot of cash with them.
just to compare apples with apples then, what does a REX and QLINK skipper earn? How long does it take to uograde frin first joining an Aussie regional?