PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial Salary?
Thread: Initial Salary?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 06:59
emilio123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurse2Pilot
Since cost is one of the biggest barriers to entry and most if not all aspiring commercial pilots will take out a loan one way or another, I'm a bit surprised that the initial salary of a FO/SO in the usual low-cost carriers are not discussed. I've been looking at pilotjobsnetwork and trying to make sense of things but I am completely stumped. What would a newly-hired pilot be earning for his first 1-3 or 1-5 years in [insert airline here]?

Friends and family would be my first option for help and being able to give some sort of repayment timeline would be a great way to increase my chances of getting help. It would also help me approach them, hat in hand, with more confidence, or if I need to approach a bank, it would help me know what is a realistic repayment amount.

I've read a lot of threads here with numbers either from senior FOs up to senoir Captains looking for another home and discussing pay but not only are these threads sometimes confusing, they're also way, way later in the future for me. Any help in plain layman's terms would be much appreciated! Cheers!
Which is exactly why you do not take out a loan and work hard to pay modular all cash... It can be done for 40-50K euro’s. Serious debt of 100k+ with a 2300 Euro a month salary creates a huge, unecessary pressure on your shoulders but is sadly still promoted on this forum to young people. If you would earn 10k a month as a starter then it would be doable but it is sadly not the case.

Might take a bit longer to finish training and find a job this way but at least you have the peace of mind of zero debt. Debt = slavery.

If one needs the hand holding of an integrated airline scheme then the person is not cut out to be a pilot anyway. Unless you get into a free program à la Aer Lingus of course...