PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2018, 05:51
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Squawk7700 - In the 30's, 40's and 50's people used to have home radio sets with Short Wave (SW) bands Medium Wave and also Long Wave. My father had a wooden encased Marconi radio about 2 feet high and one foot six inches wide which had these bands and a "Magic Eye" tuning aid which resembled a large Owl's eye with a black pupil which enlarged or diminished as you tuned into stations hundreds and thousands of miles away. I used to spend time in my school holidays playing with this set. Short Wave bands encompass all the HF Frequencies.

@Air Bubba - That piece of aluminum that Gillespie has been continually hawking as coming from the Electra, since it was found in 1991, has been conclusively proven to have come from a C-47A by the New England Aircraft Museum (NEAM). It matched a spare wing they had at the Museum..... Strange that..... there is a crashed C-47A on SYDNEY Island in the PHOENIX Group of islands, near to Nikumaroro Island as it now is. Back in 2014, I spent time in the evening drawing the fuselage frame placements by the Station Numbers (in inches) in a Drawing Program and proved that the piece of scrap that Gillespie had was "Too Big" to fit between the frames of where the rearmost window had been on the starboard side of the Electra..... A guy in MEL was also doing the same thing.... We had a big time over that on WIX. This eventually caused a heated argument between the person who had proposed the idea and Mr. TIGHAR himself, leading to the eventual resignation of the idea's proposer. Gillespie has not to my knowledge informed his members that the proof of identity was found by the NEAM and the "Magic Scrap" has not been mentioned since.

Regards...