PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2018, 08:43
neville_nobody

Received 151 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyj
White people arent very successful breeders on a worldwide scale..in fact some of the most western countries are some of the worst. Being born a woman is a happy accident you can’t do much about..being born non white is becoming more and more likely
The general populous is irrelevant, it's the pilot population that counts. The issue is that aviation, for whatever reason, seems to attract white males. It is not the same in other jobs thats for sure. I saw the graduation photo of my local optometrist who is probably 5 years out of uni and that would be a diversity managers wet dream, 80%+ non caucasian females, and that was at one of Australia's top Unis.

However they get paid 90K straight out of uni, have every weekend and public holiday off, and walk out the door at 1800 at the latest. Maybe that has something to do with the diversity issue in Piloting ranks. Add to this in many countries professional piloting is seen as a job for losers. I have flown with a few people who have non caucasion heritage who parents were not impressed that they wanted to be pilots.