PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2018, 05:48
JulietSierra6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2unlimited
As for the debate BA vs LoCo's, I think it depends what you want in life and what stage you are at in life.
BA, sure you can fly many different aircraft etc., but in the end after a while it's not the time you spend at work that creates the greatest value you in your life, it's the time you spend with loved ones and family. Finding the balance between work and lifestyle is the main thing.
I think many join BA based on old thoughts of the prestige of flying for a flag carrier, however all the great advantages of working for flag carriers are slowly disappearing.
If you join BA first SH, you are living from a suitcase, from hotel to hotel. You are just living to work the next day. Sure if you are young and have no commitments, children / family etc. you probably don't mind this lifestyle. However having lived the hotel life over 10 years myself, I can assure you there is only so much you can take before it becomes just another day to get trough.

Some say you should embrace the lifestyle, and discover new parts of the world, sure sounds nice, but I rather discover new parts of the world with loved ones, than alone - as the experience becomes hollow and empty not to have someone to share the memories with.

Similar you than go to long haul, destinations all over the world, sure excitement in the start, stopover in exotic countries, enjoying night life in your downtime, again it's single persons lifestyle. You hardly ever home, if you have children you will miss 90% of the things in their lives, if you are married or in a relationship, how do you expect to maintain this when you are constantly away?

I have a friend working Long Haul, he has dated a few Cabin Crew, and I told him he should find someone not in aviation to settle down with, but he explains how can he find someone, when he is always away.
Having friends, and having met loads of aircrews in many of my travels around the world, I "know the lifestyle" - and for most it ends in multiple divorces and little or not much contact with your own children.

Now some people in their 20s and early 30's, might not yet appreciate this aspect in life, and are still blinded by the chance to fly the A380 or Dreamliner.

However for me personally after commuting for many years by flight abroad, when I landed my first job back in the UK, it was the biggest life changer ever in my life. When I everyday finished duty and knew that in not long time I would be home with my loved ones, in my own bed, and could actually use my off time to something useful and meaningful instead of just sitting in a hotel room or apartment and wasting time, waiting for time until I could get home. It would go days, some time weeks being away, just to get home for 2 days before had to leave again.

That feeling to be home everyday is worth more than all the money in the world. I have been offered work trough friends in the far east where I could make 4 - 5 times what I make now, and probably work half of what I am working now, but considering the massive commute and time away, and all what I would miss I would never consider doing this.

In the end it all comes down to what you value most in your own life, it's a personal choice.
When old people are asked on question, what in life do you wish you had done more, spent more time doing, the ONE ANSWER, NEVER given, is "I wish I had spent more time at work"

That's the reason I would NEVER work for BA, it's just not for me and what I value in life. But thank god we are not all the same, because I like to go on holiday with my family to those destinations that Long Haul pilots fly, but I want to go there to enjoy with family and friends, and not sit there alone staring at the sun (and any temptations that might come my way because I am feeling lonely) And what many forget, is that their partner/wife might also be feeling lonely at home, so who knows who does what. ( based on true stories told by few long haul pilots I know)
Its interesting to be told about my lifestyle and future career at BA from someone who has NEVER worked here.

Having worked for both a low cost airline and now BA I can tell you my lifestyle is infinitely better than it was previously. I am SH at LGW which suits me perfectly for now living in the south east with a 15 minute drive to work. I work almost exclusively early day trips with a few longer trips thrown in for variety which suits my young family. The summer is certainly full on here but no more so than at my last employer and the winters are considerably quieter. I feel that I am treated as an adult and work day to day with some fantastic colleagues. As I say for now this suits me but knowing I have the options when the need or desire for change arises is what for me makes BA the better option.

I undertand BA isn’t for everyone but to make out you can’t have both a fulfilling career and brilliant home life while working here is simply not true.