PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employment conditions in GA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:14
georgeeipi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QUOTE=Horatio Leafblower;10205581]Wet Compass,

All arguments fall over when taken to a logical absurdity.

For mine, your example #1 is absurd because the bloke who turns up with every-bloody-thing paid for is probably a spoilt ****. Pilot #1 probably has work referees who will attest to his/her work ethic. Pilot #2 will have old school friends or 2 years as a director of his Dad's friend's merchant bank and a lot of photos on his (it's always a bloke) FB profile of himself surfing, hanging out with models, and going to parties.
[/QUOTE]

I've personally had both #1 and #2 experiences. When I was learning to fly I didn't have wealthy parents or relatives, I had to get a well paying job before I could start learning to fly. I discovered that there were many younger trainees being supported by a parent or uncle, and a few of them even had bought their own aeroplanes to do their training. Later when I was applying for jobs I was invariably asked why I started flying so late (later than 18 I guess) and why did it take me so long to get my license. When I described how the limiting factor was earning the money to pay for my training I was told, more than once, that 'others found ways'. So to make up for a shortfall in age I decided to buy a couple of gas turbine endorsements. That actually worked in getting jobs, but in a two crew environment that didn't seem to win respect with most of the captains who would look at anyone who paid for their own endorsements with derision. Was I spoilt? Well actually no, quite the opposite. I suppose the point that Wetcompass is making is we all pay for our training, so how much is too much?