PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the rules in relation to position reporting in non-controlled airspace?
Old 25th Jul 2018, 09:09
Trevor the lover

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Are we being a bit harsh on Dick. The question of how the VFR guy knows you're there is not a bad one. Criticizing Dick for supposedly not knowing the rules doesn't answer the question of "how does the VFR guy know you're there?". The rules ARE that position reports are not required - so if the sector controller is too busy to give alerts, it is entirely possible that VFR Bruce doesn't know you're there.

Now that I've supported Dick, let me go the other way. Wasn't it you Dick that around 15 or more years ago was pushing a barrow very long and hard about just looking out the window to attain traffic in CTAFs? (or was it MTAFs, or MBZs, or AFIZs). Now that was truly dumb. So many times I've had traffic all over the TCAS and buggar me if I can find em. See and be seen???????? Sure! !!!!!!!!!! Even when I know they're there I can't find em. So shouldn't the VFR guy in your question, descending through your level, just look out the window and see you???????

Hope I'm making sense. Lots of beers.