PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton And Linton-on-Ouse Closure
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 12:11
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
BV, not a bad question.

Sometimes the legal fire and rescue cover couldn't be achieved nearer to passengers' ultimate destination. Some aerodromes had limited taxiway width etc., also it wasn't so much the crew duty time which might be limiting but the aircraft's next allocated task.

Things improved a little during my (fortunately brief) exposure to the world of trucking and we certainly collected and returned passengers to their ultimate destination whenever possible. But we were often up against the blinkered stupidity of Ascot Ops, I regret to say. Airlines use their cleverest people for schedule planning, whereas the RAF did not.

It was different if returning FJ crews and support personnel to the UK on an AAR trail as we were then under the delegated control of an AARC. Most of whom would agree to approval to land at places such as Marham, Wittering, Leeming and Leuchars even if it meant burning more fuel. But that wasn't always possible, also the MT for passengers might be at the mercy of their own station. This one time (not at band camp!) when I brought some FJ folk back to the UK it hadn't been possible to arrange to fly them direct from ASI to Wattisham but they were hugely glad not to be going back deafened and starved in the bowels of an Albert. One of their number told me that their MT Ops wouldn't send a bus until they'd been told that the VC10 was about to land at Brize; I'd faced the same in my short time on 56 so was very sympathetic. An HF phonepatch to Wattisham off the sticky-out bit of Africa and a little white lie did mean though that the Wattisham bus arrived at the precise moment the passengers had cleared customs and the movers. Which probably saved them about 5 hours of frustration.

But you wouldn't believe the opposition we often faced from some jumped-up 'Unit Mobility Officers' when we'd offered to fly passengers home when we had the opportunity.

My favourite RTB with pax was flying a pairs VRIAB at Wittering with the first GR5 when we came back from Dubai via Akrotiri. We broke first, extended downwind whilst the Harrier landed, then dropped off the pax and were UK customs cleared by the SDO!