PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton And Linton-on-Ouse Closure
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 09:07
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
I did the CFS cse at Scampton shortly before it ‘closed’ in the 90s. The Reds moved to Cranwell but the frequent & regular flying embargos to allow their practice sessions were a nightmare to accommodate within the rest of the station’s program. Their move back to Scampton was a great relief.

As as I recall the sale of Scampton didn’t proceed because of a number of issues - the straightening of the road (there was a clause that it had to be returned to its original route if ever the RAF no longer required the base, £3 million) & the bomb dump still ‘glowed in the dark’, £4 million, prices to fix in 1990s £s).

There was also the small matter of ‘that dog’. It was suggested that he be re-interred with his master in Holland but that would’ve meant admitting there was nothing in the grave, contents either lost during the 50s reconstruction of the airfield or as per a story I heard there never was an actual grave, the 2 erks detailed to carry out the burial having simply chucked the body over a hedge (the dog not being especially popular on the sqn).