PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apollo 15 flag handed to RAF
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 23:53
MrBernoulli

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, Al Worden did his test pilot course at Farnborough in 1964, as a member of 23 Fixed Wing course. Unusually, Al Worden and then Flt Lt Dave Bywater RAF tied for the Patuxent Shield, which is awarded to the runner-up position for best student on the ETPS course. Many of you will know of test pilot John Farley, who sadly passed away just last month, and he was also a Patuxent Shield winner, on 22 Fixed Wing Course in 1963.

I have the pleasure and honour of being custodian of Al Worden's pilot logbook from his ETPS course, for which Al later kindly provided an accompanying letter of provenance. It is a standard blue RAF pilot logbook, RAF Form 414, with monthly flying hour summaries, all signed by Al and many countersigned by Wg Cdr Stanley Hubbard, Chief Test Flying Instructor ETPS. A very quick browse through the logbook shows that Al flew the following eclectic mix of aircraft types during the course: Hunter, Meteor, Canberra, Chipmunk, piston Provost, Devon, Viscount, Scimitar, Dragonfly, Scout, and Seahawk!

Al always talks fondly of his time spent in the UK in 1964 and his continuing, regular visits to this country are testament to his Anglophile leanings. He is an absolute gent and if I can be half as active as he is, should I be fortunate to reach his current age of 86, I shall be very lucky indeed!