PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Windward Turn Theory
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 15:39
Goldenrivett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Vessbot,
From negative 499 to positive 501, that's a thousand knot increase. The airspeed is 1 knot before and after, unchanged.

And *I* don't think that there is anything ignored about the momentum, but the windward turn theorists do (like the one I quoted in my reply) and I'm challenging then to apply their reasoning to that situation.
I am definitely not a windward turn theorist. My reply was to your confused post #109
How about when you are walking upwind at 1 knot at knots in an airliner, toward the tail, with a groundspeed of negative 499 knots. You turn around to face the nose (downwind) in one second, and keep walking at 1 knot airspeed, but now your groundspeed is 501 knots. You just walked through a one thousand knot self-created windshear in one second, according to your theory, which predicts that there should be some effect.
You haven’t walked through a “”1000 KT self created wind shear”, you have only changed your groundspeed by 2 kts. The fact that you turned around and re-label which is +ve and -ve destroyed your inertial reference frame.