PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory - Classroom versus distance learning
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 06:55
Gordon Bennet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristol are not the only game in town for distance learning, and I don't believe they do full time in any case - that would require special approval. Pro Pilot used to do something with distance learning with somebody always available on the end of a video conferencing line, although you still had to turn up in the approved classroom for the consolidation. They tend to leave you on your own at Uni anyway, so distance learning with this "new stuff" shouldn't be hard for you - regard it as utilising the self-discipline you will need for being a pilot!

The problem with classroom learning (for the schools that have tried it) is that students tend to think they don't have to do any work - all they have to do is sit there and tap away on their ipad, keep asking to go back to the previous slide, and the knowledge will seep in automatically! That's why so few schools do it - it is frustrating and uneconomic while you wait for the small amount of students who want it to turn up ( I was a GI in a former life).

You missed out CAPT and Pathway in the list above by the way. 4 weeks of consolidation is not required if the notes are good enough and the student motivated enough.

You can do flying training while you study, and hour building would be a good option. The present liveliness in the market won't be around for ever, and while I don't think you need to rush unduly, sooner rather than later would be best.

G

PS - the people who say they never need the stuff again tend to be people who haven't started flying yet. Certainly ops is the one subject that you will need because most companies write their ops manuals by cutting and pasting the regulations. it will all be distressingly familiar......