PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 - the best is yet to come
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 05:46
tdracer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts
It never stop to amaze me that we are working in an industry where the client ( the paying pax ) has in fact nothing to say but accept what others decide is best for them. and we are supposed to live in a market oriented global business!
What a strange way to look at how the real world works. The open market has stated, repeatedly, that the average consumer is primarily cost driven. So much so that the ultra low cost carriers have grown like weeds - largely at the expense of the 'full service' operators. While everyone likes to blame the bean counters for the decline in service among the legacy operators, the bottom line is that they can no longer operate the way the did a few decades back and stay in business. The bottom line is the typical paying passenger won't pay for full service if a cheaper option is available. The A380 - at least as it is typically configured (I doubt if an A380 configured for 800+ passengers would get the same sort of rave reviews) - is a nice experience for the passenger. Much the same way Concorde was in years past. But precious few paying passengers are willing to pay significantly more for that experience.
Everyone complains about the cramped seats in the 10 across 777 and 9 across 787. If most paying passengers boycotted those operators and only fly on those with 9 across 777s and 8 across 787s, the cattle car seating would quickly go away. But they don't - they may bitch and complain, but they still buy the cheapest ticket.
So the market based solution is cramped, uncomfortable seating and crappy service with dirt cheap prices because that is exactly what the majority of travelers have voted for with their wallets. Most of the people on this form hate it - with good reason - but we are a small minority. Personally, I always check the aircraft type and check it out on seatguru when booking air travel - but my wife doesn't care, she just wants the lowest price so she can spend the money shopping after we get there.