PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody else think Farnborough's Cr*p?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 14:51
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
I've attended about three-quarters of the shows since 1968, first as an enthusiast, then as an interested industry professional including several shows as a exhibitor, which were fun, particularly the time I flew on board during the flying display (before that was stamped on). For the last 20-odd years I've alternated between attending as a trade visitor, watching the flying display over the fence and, most recently, failing to summon up the enthusiasm to do either.

I haven't been this time around as I know I'd have been bored to tears. Though if I'd known in advance about that Hercules display ...
The ban on 'extra' people on board whilst displaying was certainly in force in '74. I think it came in after the Atlantic crash in ''68.
Only 'normal' crew required to operate the aircraft were allowed on board during a display (unless your name was Raymond Baxter) which rather disappointed one of the Farnborough test pilots in '74; he had befriended the F15 pilot who had agreed to take him up but OC Flying very firmly said no.
The Farnborough test pilot involved was the one who landed the Beverly at Paull (just 670m long) a few weeks previously and he later became OC Flying Farnborough himself.

Last edited by chevvron; 22nd Jul 2018 at 15:01.