PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank you to the Dornier 228 Pilot who Buggered up my flying lesson @ HKNW
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 14:13
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Climbing in the circuit to allow overtaking below; extending downwind; orbiting in the circuit, foul language
* Overtaking in the circuit is a NO NO as I remember from tuition days; neither should other pilots encourage or sollicit such a manoeuvre;
* extending downwind and orbiting in circuit (or at least in downwind) OTOH are perfectly ok; but I'd not like to see anyone orbiting in base leg;
* foul language is of course a NO NO everywhere and everyplace, let alone among the highly educated and well-mannered pilot-community (no comments, please).

But - except for the last point which I consider beyond discussion - isn't it all under the authority of tower? At a controlled field, that is. At my non-controlled homefield, extending downwind is standard procedure and indeed mandatory, if the situation so requires; the standard example would be a fast plane following too close on a slower one. Orbiting in downwind seems risqué to me but might be appropriate in certain cases, and I have known tower controllers to instruct thus. It certainly is one of the many attractions I warily watch out for, on downwind and beyond.

@T/S: was the aerodrome controlled, i.e. under the authority of "Wilson Tower" or whatever it is called, at the time?

Last edited by Jan Olieslagers; 22nd Jul 2018 at 18:49.