PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a way to use microlight hours towards a full PPL?
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:20
phatmikey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to use microlight hours towards a full PPL?

I'm in the UK and have recently started training for a NPPL(m) on microlights, I'd like to get an PPL(A) at some time in the future, preferably an EASA one.

It used to be that you could convert the NPPL(m) to an NPPL(ssea) with a few hours on actual aeroplanes, then convert that to an EASA LAPL, then upgrade that to a full PPL. That 'loophole' has closed, apparently for good so I missed the chance to do that.

So now it seems all the hours I fly towards my microlight NPPL are not worth anything as far as a full PPL(A) goes.

I've discovered that in South Africa, they have a similar NPL license in microlights and you can count some hours (it varies depending on who you ask) in microlights towards a full PPL(A) when you convert. Maybe I can get a S.A. NPL based on my microlight hours in the UK and then get a S.A. PPL(A)..?

Does anyone know any other ways to use microlight hours to gain a full PPL? Are there any European countries where I can apply them towards an EASA PPL(A)?

P.S. I'm training in an Ikarus C42, a fixed-wing microlight, if it helps.