PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory - Classroom versus distance learning
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 12:17
FredDickens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL theory - Classroom versus distance learning

Does anyone have any strong recommendations on whether to complete the ATPL theory in the classroom or through distance learning? If I opt for distance learning I still would be doing it full-time.

7 months of full-time study feels like an excessively long time for the 14 exams, so would I be better placed to use the Bristol, PadPilot or CATS distance learning option and build up hours at the same time? If I studied in the classroom it would effectively take up all of my time and limit flying to a small amount on weekends. I also feel that I could complete the theory part much faster than in 7 months. I have seen the 650 hour requirement by CAA and the distance learning providers have 4 weeks of refresher classroom based study, to check that you understand the material and to meet the CAA requirements.

I have a degree and several years work experience in a civil engineering background, so I do not expect the maths and physics portions of the course to be challenging, but the other parts are all completely new and I do not know if they will be a challenge or just require time spent learning.

Also, do your results influence your career? I have seen that passing first time is important, but do the actual percentage marks matter and after finding the first job is it ever looked at? From speaking to a friend of a friend, once you have passed these exams you never really need it again, it is just another stepping stone on getting the licence.