PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS A330 BNE leaves pitot covers on
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 11:59
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
It’s really interesting to me to watch threads when things like this occur and see the same thing again and again, year after year. It is such an integral part of our wiring to seek to lay blame on an individual or individuals.
One has to question what sort of walk around did the first officer do?
Or was 1 or 2 pitot covers left on and 1 side had airspeed information and the other pilot did an improper crosscheck at the 100/80kt call
supposed to be removed an hour before departure ... but clearly someone forgot ..
what about the ground crew who left them installed or the pushback crew who didn't notice them?
please don't offer sympathy for the "poor devils" - I'm all for forgiveness of mistakes (and learning lessons from them) but this is simply incredible - very basic error.
What about the turkey that did the pushback-unforgivable really.
Who signed off tech log entry?
Missing, or ignoring the actions I described, is unacceptable behavior among professionals. Please stay a student pilot as the rest of us are are trying to even after decades in th
....I got up to post 26 of 68 before I stopped cutting and pasting.
I’m not knocking any of the posters above because I have the same incredulous feelings straight off the bat when I hear of incidents like this, but it is worth noting that our fall back position as humans does nothing/zip/zero to prevent a recurrence or determine a ‘why’, and also bolsters our own sense of well being by highlighting ( to ourselves) why it would never happen to us. It’s a natural response.
Last Monday I was taxiing along and asked for the Before Start Checklist instead of the Before Takeoff Checklist........ how on earth could I make such an obvious and simple mistake? I’m supposed to be a professional and I don’t even know what checklist comes next? People make mistakes that seem rediculous from the outside and every system should take that into account as much as is possible. Tom Sawyer and a few others have already headed off down that road and identified conflicting SOP’s, unbalanced tension between commercial and safety outcomes, inadequate resources, OTP pressure etc
These are the things that leave the reliably fallible humans exposed when errors are made and should be addressed during the Inestigation. They won’t be. No investigation is going to ask the question “if this Engineer was only dispatching one aircraft would the incident have occurred?” Instead they’ll just highlight any short comings by pilots/ dispatchers/ Engineers and make a sweeping comment about how fatigue wasn’t a factor. ( I’m not saying it was).
As for us out on the line there is one thing that keeps us as safe as possible, the ability to go nice and slow when the pressure is on. To take 20 seconds and recap where you’re at. In short,’Don’t Rush’.
Thats my two bob anyway.