PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 02:45
Popgun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So pilot unions in Australia ought start delivering for their members. Delivering those things surrendered in the decades where supply exceeded demand....
Unfortunately supply still overwhelmingly exceeds demand at the main carriers in Australia (i.e. QF, JQ, VA and TT). These airlines continue to be able to be very selective.

It is a training pipeline problem...not a problem finding bums for seats. Yes, the US as well as China, the Middle East and other less desirable locations are hurting. Australian majors? Not so much. (Despite the airline Press Releases that are regurgitated as 'news')

I hope I'm proved wrong one day by the change in MO by the HR departments. The termination of psychometric tests, behavioural interview questions and cringe-worthy group exercises in favour of pilot qualification and experience assessment, simulator evaluations and reference checks.

This, coupled with increased remuneration offers and substantively better work/life balance contracts placed desperately on the table by management might mean the pilot shortage had arrived at our shores.

I sincerely hope I live to see it...but I won't hold my breath.

PG