PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody else think Farnborough's Cr*p?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 00:49
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been going for the past 8 years and have been increasingly disappointed on each occasion. I have a friend who lives close by who I go with and it was pleasant to sit in the sun and watch the planes go by. Some nice vintage types - so it wasn't a wasted day - but I doubt if I'll go again.

For the first time I bought some seats in the runway enclosure - there was a huge and unexpected queue to get in, and we missed the first 45 minutes of the display. Then, as Chevvron alluded to, there were some big gaps in the display. Not quite so big that there was time to go off and look at the static displays, but big enough to wonder whether it could really have been planned that way or whether one of the aircraft might have gone tech (couldn't find a timetable included with my programme).

As for the display - it was fine as far as it went, but you got the impression they were struggling to fill the time available. Lots of waiting about for the air race aircraft pylons to be prepared and dismantled, twice. It would have been nice to see a few more experimental aircraft such as the Airbus electric trainer or perhaps a Kamov helicopter or the e-volo or perhaps an Airbus 220. The commentary, to the extent that I listened to it, was risible. Some of the facts and figures in the guidebook seemed unlikely - e.g. wrong speeds and first flight dates for the Spitfire mk26. The Red Arrows basically took off, showed that they could make some smoke, and landed.

Had the display become less exciting as a result of the Shoreham incident? Perhaps, but at the same time it just didn't feel particularly well organised or inspired. Too much emphasis on vintage piston types (much as I like them) and not enough on the newer or more experimental.

Last edited by abgd; 22nd Jul 2018 at 07:58.