PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rossair accident in 2017 - training and checking assessment
Old 21st Jul 2018, 14:52
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Not a multi FW rated guy, but any single engine work means keeping Vmca uppermost in mind. Manuals I've read suggest 5,000 as the minimum altitude for Vmca demonstration. Is that not telling us something with regard to single engine work? I'm fully aware of, and the necessity for, good training, but there must be a better way. Simulators are the only answer.
1/. EFATO should never ever come close to a VMCA demonstration. If it does, both the candidate AND the instructor have failed.
2/. engine failure in a Conquest should probably not be demonstrated with the power lever right back to the flight idle stop.
3/. A very great many simulated engine failures are practiced in twin engine aircraft of all classes without so much as giving the crew a fright. It can be done. I have done (removes socks... 13...14...15...) 16 C441 endorsements over the last 3 years and maybe the same number of prof checks without incident or even a nasty fright.

Lost count now of C404 endos and C421 and Baron and Chieftain endos. Why the hell would you even need to demo 'real' VMCA after seeing something limited, but similar, in your initial MEA training?
I still have no idea WTF they were doing or talking about in that cockpit in Renmark that night but to have some knee-jerk reaction and ban something that might, or might not, have had a bearing on the accident would be a typical modern Australian response