PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 21st Jul 2018, 08:16
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon Bootprint
i really don’t know these old birds, but from what I’ve gleaned from those wiser than me:

P = propellor pitch
T = throttle/ thrust
M = mixture, it’s a piston donk, yes?

Happy to be corrected by those,who know what they’re talking about, I’m really sorry I missed the era of these flying machines being commonplace,
Yes, piston engine. It is worth being precise on function of these controls. The P is for propellor speed/rpm (and directly, engine rpm). The propellor control lever does influence propellor blade pitch but, as a function of engine speed control via the CSU, Constant Speed Unit. Although some might feel this is picky, it is important in the safe operation of these aircraft because the function of the propellor in coarser or finer pitch angle can be mis-understood. Whereas, the function of propellor speed lever, generally forward for high propellor/engine speed, is intuitive and similar to the Throttle control action, especially in the low airspeed case where maximum power is often required. The Mixture control action is usually similarly arranged for Rich forwards, as this corresponds to the requirements for full power and so, gives the simple solution for high power in a tight situation of "all the levers forward".
Again, this is a generalisation for this system of engine control and individual installation function and operation must be studied before operating.

OAP